It's the world's best-selling book and yet it is generally the least read in any household. Written several thousand years ago, it could certainly seem irrelevant at first glance. The fact that it is a tome can also be an enormously daunting prospect, especially when you are time-poor.But the Bible isn't just your average novel. It's a love letter, storybook, history lesson, self-help guide and collection of inspirational quotes all rolled into one.
Research done by Baylor University found that Christians who read the Bible are more likely to actively seek social and economic justice; believe it's important to consume or use fewer goods; and are less likely to view religion and science as incompatible, among other moral and political issues.
Then there's another study published in the Mental Health, Religion and Culture journal, which showed that "Bible reading makes a small but unique contribution to promoting a sense of purpose in life among [13-15-year-olds]."
And yet, those aren't the main reasons why Adventists study the Bible. We read the Bible to get to know the God who loves us; to learn from the stories and experiences of others; to discover the history of our origins; to be amazed by prophecy; to gain insight on how to live our lives; and to read God's many promises that give us hope, peace and confidence.
In a nutshell, Adventists study the bible because they are in love with the Word, "and the Word was God" (John 1:1).
Seventh-day Adventists strive daily to develop a closer relationship with Jesus Christ to become more like Him. The heart of our mission is to help others realize the hope found in experiencing a personal relationship with a living God and loving Saviour, and nurturing them in preparation for His soon return. Here is a list of links to various types and styles of Bible study – in the form of online Bible studies, a newsletter, online videos, and printed Bible study lessons or Bible study CD ROMs available by postal mail. May God bless you as you seek His Word.
Bible Study Resources
Different people have different learning styles and are at different stages in their knowledge of the Bible. Here, you can choose your preference. If you don't see what you need or are looking for, please contact us and we will try to find it for you.
In addition to the Bible study resources for adults, we also list below some for children and a daily devotional.
Are you looking for answers to life's questions? Do you want to know what the Bible says about a certain subject or issue? Here are some resources that will help in your life journey.
- 800HisWord.com – You can browse Bible topics, request free materials, send prayer requests, or connect with Bible counselors who are standing by to be your partner in finding the best way to continue to grow in your relationship with God. Helpful resources as you learn more about God and His love for you...through His Word. Lessons in Spanish also available.
- Beginners Bible Studies – Bible studies that will help the beginner get acquainted with the Bible and zero in on one topic at a time.
- The Appearing – View five Bible lessons about the signs of Jesus' appearing, and download five videotaped presentations for your video iPod or online viewing.
- BibleBay.org – Learn what the Holy Scripture has to say about your past, present, and future destiny. Learn how to study the Bible for truth and personal guidance. Includes "LifeSavers," 16 Scripture-centered lessons that can be completed at your own pace. Instant lesson processing and return.
- Bible Courses for visually impaired - Christian Record Services has several different correspondence courses available in braille, on cassette, and in large print. You do not have to own a Bible, as texts are quoted for you. The large-print and braille versions have quizzes for you to complete and return to them for grading. Certificate is given after completing each course. The audio courses have no quizzes to return and no certificates are issued.
- Bibleinfo.com – Helping people around the world discover what the Bible says about life's big questions! Here you will find counsel, direction, encouragement and help - all from God's Word.
- Discover Bible Studies – Discover is Bible study available online in 47 languages and dialects, and covers the major themes of truth in the Bible. Using your own Bible as you study the course may be helpful. However, if you don't have a Bible you can still take the course since all of the key Bible study references and texts are included in the guide. You can study at your own pace. Also available, the Discover Bible Guides in Streaming Video.
- The Focus on Prophecy Bible Guides – Bible Prophecy will come to life as you study these beautifully illustrated, easy-to-follow guides. Unlock mysteries about God and His plan for you and our world. Know God better through His messages in the books of Daniel and Revelation. Discover that the Bible predicts accurately the rise and fall of nations. Understand the meaning of the Mark of the Beast, the Antichrist, and the Millennium.
- It Is Written – Several Bible study tools on this site include “The Discover Bible Guides," "New Beginnings," "Unsealing Daniel's Mysteries," and "The Search for Certainty."
- "Journey of Joy: Healthy Emotions and Holy Hearts" – An 11-part DVD Bible study series especially for women (but men enjoy it also). A Leader's Kit priced at US$49.99 is available for leading a group study. It includes the DVD lessons recorded by Carla Gober, PhD, MS, MPH. Director, Center for Spiritual Life and Wholeness, Loma Linda University, and one Participant's Guide. Discover how you can experience joy even during life's darkest moments. Examine the connection between a woman's emotions and her spirituality. Uncover new ways to study Scripture. Experience laughter and tears through learning techniques such as drawing, journaling and role playing. And most importantly, revel in the Lord's blessing on your Journey of Joy. Study guides are also available in packs of five.
- Lifting Up Jesus – A set of 30 lessons, with the first nine lessons about Jesus. There are free, downloadable lessons, to help guide one's personal Bible study, or full-color printouts available. The lessons are available in Spanish and a set for children (see below).
- Native New Day – Written for Native People by Native People, these 30 guides will take you on a journey through the Bible's main themes. You'll discover just how relevant this ancient book of wisdom is for people facing the 21st century's challenges. Beautifully illustrated to reflect the rich Native heritage. They are available both by mail and online.
- Sabbath School Lesson Studies – Every week a different Bible lesson is discussed during Seventh-day Adventist Church study hours, usually at 9:30 a.m. apart from the worship hour which usually begins around 11 a.m. (check local church times). Visitors are always welcome and participation is voluntary. The congregation usually breaks up into smaller groups in different rooms or areas of the sanctuary to talk about the lesson for that week, but some have a "general" lesson study led by someone from the pulpit, and discussion may depend upon the size of the audience. The lesson themes change four times during a year (one quarter of the year divided into 13 weeks each). This is true for each age group of youth and children as well. You can find lesson studies for each group at the following Web sites: www.SabbathSchoolU.org (predominately for young adults) and at www.SSnet.org (includes all levels). There are audio discussions online, teacher's helps, outlines developed by some teachers, as well as the children's and youth's division studies at these sites. You can watch recordings of discussions online at http://hopess.hopetv.org/.
- Sabbath Truth – Everything you want to know about the Sabbath.
- The Shema Israel Bible Course – Designed for people with Jewish heritage or even Christians who wish to rediscover their Jewish roots. Shaped from a specific Hebrew perspective this course takes into account not only the Hebrew text but also the testimony of ancient Jewish sources.
- Surprised by Love – A 10-part DVD Bible study series by Elizabeth Talbot based on her book by the same title. In this series you will meet Jesus in a more intimate way than ever before as you learn what the Bible reveals, from Genesis to Revelation, about His amazing role as our Go’el (Kinsman-Redeemer). This series, especially for women, covers God's surprising plan, beauty, promise, kinship, faithfulness, rescue, grace, assurance, reunion, and restoration. These lessons are designed to be especially effective when used in conjunction with a small group. No matter how you use them, you will be blessed beyond measure. Find it online, or contact your localAdventist Book Center. Also available in Spanish (español)